We are proud to offer the iCanBike Program this year to our families. This program, developed by iCanShine, was created to teach children with disabilities how to ride a two-wheeled bicycle independently. For more information or to view videos of an iCanBike Camp, visit www.icanshine.org.
Dates: Sunday, August 12 (Orientation), Camp runs Monday August 13-Friday August 17 2018
Location: St. Edmond’s Academy 2120 Veale Rd, Wilmington, DE 19810
Who is eligible:
- Down Syndrome Association of Delaware Members (make sure your dues are paid, you can pay HERE.)
- Those with Down syndrome.
Requirements for Participation (Rider must meet all of the below criteria):
- Minimum age- 8 years old
- Have a disability
- Able to walk without assistive device
- Willing and able to wear a properly fitted bike helmet
- Able to sidestep to both sides
- Able to attend camp all five days
- Maximum weight 220 lbs
- Minimum inseam of 20″ (measure from floor while rider is wearing sneakers)
- Must submit an application (link below)
- Must pay a $200 registration fee and submit an application, mail a check or click HERE
How it works:
- iCan Bike uses a fleet of adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and a trained staff to teach individuals with disabilities how to ride a bike.
- Each rider attend the same 75-minute session each day for five consecutive days (M – F) whereby they are physically assisted and encouraged by the same two volunteer “spotters”.
- Over the course of the 5-day camp the adapted bike is adjusted to gradually introduce more instability in an effort to challenge riders at their own individual pace. The week is concluded with a touching and inspiring award ceremony!
To register a rider click this button:
- At least 15 years old (unless accompanied by an adult)
- Able to attend 90 minutes at the same time each of the 5 days of camp (15 minutes of pre-session meeting/training)
- Able to provide physical, emotional and motivational support to assigned rider
- Able and willing to get some exercise (light jogging/running) for a great cause!
- Must submit an application.
To register a volunteer click this button:
Contact Lauren Camp at email@example.com or 302-995-1004.