AI duPont Hospital for Children’s Down Syndrome Clinic
Location: AI duPont Children’s Hospital 1600 Rockland Road Wilmington, DE 19803 (map below)
To schedule an appointment, call: (302) 651-5916
The Down Syndrome Program at Nemours/Alfred duPont Hospital for Children provides a coordinated, multi-specialty approach to address every child’s medical, developmental and social needs — helping them reach their full health and developmental potential.
Their team not only provides medical care and referrals, we also offer emotional and psychosocial support, as well as genetic services for each patient and family. In a single visit, we can address all aspects of your child’s care:
- assessing, monitoring and working to prevent medical problems that can be associated with Down syndrome
- providing continuity and coordination of ongoing subspecialist medical care
- helping create and implement a customized physical, occupational and speech/language therapy plan
- providing resources and support opportunities for you and your child to interact with other families and children with Down syndrome
What You Can Expect At Your Visit
Visits to the Down Syndrome Program are comprehensive and typically last about 60 to 90 minutes. At each visit, your child will be evaluated by our pediatric geneticist or physician assistant, who will recommend appropriate tests and referrals.
Therapy services (physical, occupational and speech/language therapy) are critical elements to managing Down syndrome in children. During your visit, your child’s therapy services will be reviewed by a physical therapist, whose goal is to ensure that an individualized therapy plan is in place and maintained for your child’s specific developmental needs. Our speech-language pathologist will also offer guidance, on a consultative basis, regarding speech/language and feeding concerns.
Also an integral part of the team is our social worker, who provides support for families and assists with insurance concerns, transportation and other issues.
The Down Syndrome Association of Delaware has five parents of individuals with Down syndrome and two self-advocate adults with Down syndrome who work within clinic meeting new families. You will meet one of them at your visit- they will welcome you with open arms!
- Dr. Nina Powell Hamilton, MD
- Lauren Davey, PA-C, MSS, MSPH, Physician Assistant
- David Gregory, MSW, Social Worker
- Karen Josefyk, MSR, PT, PCS, Physical Therapist
- Becky Kunzelman, MS CCC-SLP, Speech-Language Pathologist